Zope vs PHP for the Linux guru

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 09:53:36 EDT 2001

benjamin.geer at misys.com (Benjamin geer) wrote in
news:4bf6cf6d.0110150255.1518bbed at posting.google.com:

>> Zope scales fine.  There's a lot that goes into this;
>> the one-line summary is that Zope more than holds its own.
>
> Has the Python interpreter's global thread lock caused any
> difficulties in getting Zope to scale well?  If so, I'd be very
> curious to know how this hurdle has been overcome.

I believe that Zope 'solves' the global thread lock problem by expecting
you to run multiple processes. So long as you run as many processes as you
have processors

In general Zope handles scaling by means of ZEO. This splits off the object
store into a separate backend process with one or more front end Zope
servers running as ZEO clients. If you are running on a multi-processor
machine then you could run multiple instances of Zope talking to a ZEO
server on the same or a different machine.

A ZEO server can also be a ZEO client, so for a really big system you can
build a tree of ZEO servers.