Compiling PIL 1.1.2 with Python-2.1.1 on Solaris

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 11 14:43:09 EDT 2001

Hi Ross-

If you do a Google search in this group for "Solaris" I bet you'll
find several posts about this problem!

Before running "make" in step 4 of the PIL instructions, edit the
Makefile and add "-fPIC" to OPT.

I believe another option is to change the load command (to "ld -g"
or something like that), but the -fPIC option above I'm told
is preferred because it saves memory (the library is loaded only
once even if it is used by multiple processes).

Several Python extensions have this problem; I would think this
is something that distutils should take care of automatically.
Unfortunately I don't understand the problem (or distutils) well
enough to try to fix it with confidence.

I kept fairly good notes when I installed Python 2.1 regarding
what I had to do to get about a dozen 3rd party extensions to
work under Solaris.  Drop me a line if you'd like a copy of
those notes.

Peace,
Tom Loredo