Python.NET, MONO and Visual Studio etc.

Xavier Defrang xavier at perceval.net
Wed Oct 31 06:03:16 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Jeffrey Drake wrote:

> Just wanted to make sure you know the difference between Visual Python and
> Python.Net.
> Visual Python is regular python in vs.net ide, and Python.net is actual CLR.
>
> "Ron Stephens" <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:3BDC5777.3873D22A at earthlink.net...
> > A while back there was a discussion here about a possible Python.Net and
> > related matters. I would still like to know if there is any recent
> > information. Below is my perhaps faulty understanding of what's going
> > on. I hope maybe others can correct and add to my comments.
>
> (...)

This is almost off-topic but since you guys are talking about that .NET
thing, I'd like just to ask anyone in here : WHAT THE HELL IS .NET???

I don't want any fancy buzzwords or corpspeak crap.  I just want a clear,
step-by-step explanation of what it is and what should I believe it's the
revolution MS claim it is.  Why are people investing bucks in developping
.NET software when nobody can clearly see what it is.  I'm surrounded by
skilled web and software architects and absolutely none of them has a
clear idea about this "next generation" framework/platform/strategy/initiative.  For me, .NET just looks like a
new branding strategy for all MS development product line.  What's .NET
but a mix of buzzwords and the deployment of big brotherish SOAP-enabled
services?

Any explanation of link to valuable online resource are more than
welcome...

Regards,

Xavier