how do I add site-packages on Windows?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Thu Oct 11 08:50:08 EDT 2001

I've never understood why this is done this way.  In site.py,
the sys.path setup only adds site-packages on Unixoid OS's.
On Windows it isn't done.

You can add the line to site.py

    addsitedir(r"c:\python21\site-packages")

(for instance) after the section where the sys.path is configured,
but unfortunately Distutils won't obey this, so if you use any
autoinstallers (setup.py) the modules won't go in site-packages.

Does ANYONE know why this decision was made?