Solaris and tinter: cann't fint curses

Georg Lohrer GeorgLohrer at gmx.de
Sat Oct 20 10:47:07 EDT 2001

David,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:42:37 -0600, "Jackson"
<david.jay.jackson at wcox.com> wrote:

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "./tinter.py", line 66, in ?
>    import curses                           # I use curses
>because I'm reasonably sure everyone has it

But, reality shows us:

>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/curses/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
>    from _curses import *
>ImportError: No module named _curses

you don't have it on your system or your PYTHONPATH is not set
correctly to gain access to _curses.py or _curses.so.

On my system it's located in
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/_curses.so

So, if your PYTHONPATH (check it with 'sys.path') does not contain the
mentioned dir-path, you cannot load the module. Maybe the path is
correct, but the module is not available. For that reason have a look
at the source-directory of Python and look into Modules/Setup. You'll
find an entry '_curses _cursesmodule.c -lcurses -ltermcap'  and
special comment belonging to Sun-Solaris.

Ciao, Georg