problem with FFT module from Numeric 20.2.0

P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul at
Tue Oct 9 16:46:24 CEST 2001

In article <GKvyxB.9x3 at>, nde at says...
>On Sat, 6 Oct 2001 09:37:36 -0500,
>P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul at> wrote:
>> The solution is to be explicit. Edit your file
>> /usr/local/lib/python21/config/Makefile in the appropriate places (3,  I
>> don't recall their names off-had) to pass -R linker flags to ld. For
>> example, I have added this in our lab box:
>>  -R/usr/lib -R/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
>> Without these linker flags modules like socket and pyexpat won't work at
>> all if called from restricted execution environments where you don't
>> want a full environemnt definition, namely CGI's and batch jobs.
>I'm working on Linux; do problems of this nature affect Linux
>also, or are they a Solaris-only thing?

As Malcom Treddinnick points out the problem is the half hearted job of
the Solaris linker. In Linux, at least on Debian and Redhat, you can
always edit /etc/ldconfig and get over with it :)

>But if this is the cause of the problem, why are the other modules
>from the Numeric package unaffected?  Why just fftpack?

That's strange, and should not happen. See:

bash-2.05$ ldd =>         /usr/local/lib/ =>     /lib/ =>    /lib/

bash-2.05$ ldd =>         /usr/local/lib/ =>     /lib/ =>    /lib/

bash-2.05$ ldd /usr/local/bin/python =>        /usr/local/lib/ =>       /lib/ =>        /lib/ =>   /lib/ =>    /lib/ =>        /lib/ =>     /lib/ =>     /lib/ =>         /usr/local/lib/ =>    /lib/

bash-2.05$ ldd  /usr/local/lib/
warning: ldd: /usr/local/lib/ is not executable =>     /lib/ =>    /lib/

Hey! I've been using Solaris for at least 10 years and it still bites me
back every day ;)

P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia

Kenkon Itteki       ---       Heaven and Earth at one stroke