Past command buffer gone in interpreter?

Tod Fox vulpine at dontspam.earthling.net
Wed Oct 3 01:20:38 EDT 2001

I am using Redhat 7.1. I was using the python installed by Redhat (1.5.2 I think), but I decided to upgrade to
2.1.1. It installed without any apparent problems and was able to run the test without any major failures. However,
a minor aspect of the interpreter has now changed; I can no longer use the up and down arrow keys to return to
past commands I have entered -- it prints garbage characters on the screen instead.

I can't tell if this is really an issue with python, or what could be causing this. I've tried to look through the
documentation for this kind of thing, but if I have missed something I will read it if it is pointed out to me.

Thanks,
Kit