Past command buffer gone in interpreter?

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Wed Oct 3 02:50:16 EDT 2001

Tod Fox <vulpine at dontspam.earthling.net> schrub:

> I am using Redhat 7.1. I was using the python installed by Redhat
> (1.5.2 I think), but I decided to upgrade to 2.1.1. It installed
> without any apparent problems and was able to run the test without any
> major failures. However, a minor aspect of the interpreter has now
> changed; I can no longer use the up and down arrow keys to return to
> past commands I have entered -- it prints garbage characters on the
> screen instead.
>
> I can't tell if this is really an issue with python, or what could be
> causing this. I've tried to look through the documentation for this
> kind of thing, but if I have missed something I will read it if it is
> pointed out to me.

It seems that your Python version is compiled without readline support.

If you did compile it yourself, check your configure options, otherwise
check the location you got the packages whether they offer a version
compiled with readline support.

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty