"self" vs other names

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 13:16:48 EDT 2001

Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> >On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >> What would the world have been like if CP/M had won over (PC|MS)-DOS?
> >
> >Not that much different; AFAIK MS-DOS was based on some of the principles
> > of CP/M (8.3 filename, etc.).
>
> PC-DOS was an out-and-out copy of CP/M.  The layout of FCBs was the same,
> the methods to call BIOS were the same, the layout of executable file
> headers was the same...

Except, as I recall, there was already a multiuser version of CP/M (MP/M)
when DOS arrived (imagine running up to 8 users on a single 8080/Z80!  Oh the
possibilities...), so maybe the "DR-Windows" of today would have some real
multiuser capabilities instead of having to have them added as a third-party
package.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer