Newbie - unslicable type error etc

Emile van Sebille emile at
Wed Oct 10 23:04:12 CEST 2001

7 MB is not so much that you couldn't read it all in on most systems.  Then
split on the byte sequence?

srcedata = open(filename).read()
fragments = srcedata.split(bytesequence)

>>> srcedata = "Thisthisisthisathistest"
>>> bytesequence="this"
>>> fragments = srcedata.split(bytesequence)
>>> fragments
['This', 'is', 'a', 'test']

Emile van Sebille
emile at