Smtplib module

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sat Oct 20 23:48:18 EDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:11:06 +0200, Gerhard Häring
<gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.1003630344.4941.python-list at python.org>:

:you're of course right. My thinking was too complicated, again. But
:you'll only recognize if the local delivery to the mail server failed,
:not when relayed mail's delivery fails. I did never find the local
:failures particularly interesting, because I usually know which users
:exist on my SMTP server in advance.

No, local delivery isn't interesting. I just used "localhost" in the
code snippet as an example. Certainly can be changed.

For more excitement:

Do an MX record look up on the domain name in the email address, and
deliver directly to that SMTP server.

Coding is left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/