Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at
Fri Oct 5 00:12:54 CEST 2001

> Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at> writes:
> This may be off topic but what does it mean to release a python
> under LGPL?
> An import is not a linking ... so does it mean I can't use it in a
> product? I'd like to think I could use it if I released any changes I made
> the module/package - but I don't think thats the case.

Hardly... Placing the line

  import some_gnu_module

in your own code wouldn't have anything to do with the license of
at all. As long as you are allowed to distribute some_gnu_module (separately
from your software, as it will be unless you cut-and-paste it into your
code) there shouldn't be any problem. It's like if I did

Certainly that wouldn't infect my program with a gnu license...

  Magnus Lie Hetland

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick