PythonWin 2.1 saving bugg???

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 31 07:01:22 EST 2001

Tim Gahnström:

> What I dont understand is, how can this happen? is this how the pythonwin
> savingfunction works?
>
> remove_old__file_from_disk
> Save new_file_that_current_spot

   What it does is, with error checking removed:

   os.unlink(bakFileName)
   os.rename(fileName, bakFileName)
   self.SaveFile(fileName)

   The actual code is in Pythonwin\pywin\scintilla\document.py.

> BTW is this what openSource is about? If I look over the saving
> routines in PythonWin and find that they can be done better and
> fix it, is there a good chanse that, that will be incorporated into
> the next release?

   If it is unambiguously better then I'm sure Mark will accept a patch.
However, he often has a good idea what he is doing so you may need to
discuss it with him in detail.

   I noticed that you wrote:

> But after (abruptly and with scandisk...)  having restarted
> the computer I came back and found that my program
> wasn't ther at all! anymore.

  Does this mean you pressed the reset button (or similar) in an attempt to
keep the old file? If so this is a really bad idea as you have a good chance
of not having any of the copies survive as the on-disk data associated both
with the old and new copies may be incomplete.

   Neil