J2EE equivalent in Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Oct 15 06:33:29 EDT 2001

Robin Smith <smithrc at zdbaora.nat.bt.com> wrote in message news:<x2n12xgcl4.fsf at zdbaora.nat.bt.com>...
> Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > Robin Smith <smithrc at zdbaora.nat.bt.com> writes:
> >
> > > I like J2EE but I am also an open source fan.
> >
> > What exactly is it that you like about J2EE?
>
> The way it hangs together. I like JSP, beans and tag libraries.

That's more "J2EE Light" than J2EE, though. Indeed, there was some
article I read recently which warned enterprises about buying into the
whole J2EE thing when they're only really interested in JSP and
related stuff.

> Ideally I'm looking for tag libraries that run with python.

Perhaps PSP within Webware is what you're looking for. However, as
Gerhard Häring almost pointed out, there is a vague comparison of
solutions at...

  http://www.paul.boddie.net/Python/web_modules.html

Arguably, Webware and Zope are closest to delivering some kind of
platform supporting a range of activities comparable to J2EE, but
unlike database connectivity with the DB-API, for example, there's no
consensus on how such activities are to be carried out in
applications, let alone any standardisation.

Paul