Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 4 18:08:30 EDT 2001

"Magnus Lie Hetland" <mlh at idi.ntnu.no> wrote in message
news:9pimak$c22$1 at tyfon.itea.ntnu.no...
> "Joshua Macy" <l0819m0v0smfm001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> news:3BBABE1C.5010108 at sneakemail.com...
> >

> > Joshua Macy wrote:
> >

> > >   Even though I've released some of my Python work under the GPL, I'm
> > > coming around to Tim Peter's way of thinking: just release things into
> > > the public domain and have done with it.
> >

> >    D'oh!  Apostrophe error. Tim Peters' way of thinking.
>
> Well, actually, according to The Elements of Style by Strunk & White,
> it should be
>
>   Tim Peters's way of thinking
>
> ("Peters'" is a plural possessive, I think :)

Nope. If Tim were married, you would write about his and his wife's home
(assuming they lived together) as the Peters's home. Since (and how could it
be else) there is only one Tim, you should write about Tim Peters' way of
thinking.

but-then-i'm-english-so-what-do-i-know-ly y'rs  - steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/