Python embedding & question about autoconf and dynamic linking

Mads Bondo Dydensborg madsdyd at
Mon Oct 1 13:19:43 CEST 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Olivier Deme wrote:

> I am myself into the same situation...

> I am trying to link my C application against libpython and I get
> unresolved symbols with posix thread related symbols. Why the heck
> would I need the posix thread library if I never create any thread ?!?

Python needs it. This is not so strange. The annyoing thing is, that other
libs, like gtk, often have a gtk-config command you can call, to help you
determine these sort of things - Python has no such thing. (At least I
haven't found it :-)

I guess we could write one - but that does not solve our problem with old
versions of Python

> Why is it so difficult to do something as common as this?

I think it is more common to extend Python, than to embed it. I knew
nothing about Python (apart from the name) a week ago, so I may be wrong

Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd at
Estimates of online gamers in the United States alone run as high as 15 to
20 million people.
                                      - Jon Katz, Slashdot, on youth culture.