Robin Becker robin at
Thu Oct 25 17:00:24 CEST 2001

In article <j4hesocakz.fsf at>, Martin von Loewis
<loewis at> writes
>Robin Becker <robin at> writes:
>> After looking at the 2.2 'features' I started wondering why there isn't
>> a special attribute __super__ to indicate super(self.__class__,self).
>> GvR indicates that as it stands super will likely cause cut and paste
>> errors and gives a hacky workaround, but wouldn't it be easier to have a
>> special attribute?
>I think having it use self.__class__ inside would be undesirable; it
>should be super(class_in_which_super_call_occurs, self) instead, no?
>The problem here would be that you'd need compile-time computation of
>the class object, which is difficult: the class object hasn't been
>constructed, and you can't statically know what its name is.
yes you're probably right, seem pretty poor of the parser not to allow
the name of the class to be known in the class scope, but that's python.
I wonder why pascal could do this so easily and pythoneers find it so
hard. Must be that out of date LL(1) technology.
Robin Becker