python library path on Debian LInux

Avdi B. Grimm avdi at avdi.org
Tue Oct 16 19:22:10 EDT 2001

I'm using Python on a Debian machine, and I've installed both the
python-1.5 and the python2 packages.  I prefer to use python2.
Unfortunately, the way the Debian packages are arranged, many of the
additional libraries available for python (such as PyGTK) are as yet
only packaged for Python1.5. Apparently libraries packaged for different
Python versions are installed in different directories, and each python
executable only sees the libs that were packaged for it.

Now, as I understand it, Python2 shouldn't have any difficulty using the
python1.5 versions of PyGTK, wxPython, and other such libs. (Correct me
if I'm wrong). My question is, how can I make the python2 executable
"see" the python1.5 lib dirs, in a way that is effective system-wide and
does not have to be specified on the command line every time python is
executed?

thanks,

-Avdi Grimm