Worldwide English (was Re: Python is better than free (was Re: G

Travers Naran tnaran at direct.ca
Fri Oct 5 11:00:30 EDT 2001

"Mikael Olofsson" <mikael at isy.liu.se> wrote in message

> On 05-Oct-2001 Steve Holden wrote:
>  >  Well, I could even take exception to the word "it", since there are
many
>  >  different Englishes.
>
> The following is hearsay:
>
> An English royalty is said to have claimed "English is not a worldwide
> language - bad English is."

<ObGharlane>

The proper term for a singular member of the English royalty is 'royal'.

"... is said to have claimed..."  is better written as "...supposedly
claimed.."  The passive voice is poor style.

The '-' is properly written as '--' with no spaces on either side.

So, your revised statement would be:

An English Royal supposedly claimed: "English is not a worldwide
language--bad english is."

</ObGharlane>

:-)

I now return you to our regularly scheduled GPL war...