PostgreSQL Interface Query

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sat Oct 13 08:11:27 EDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 03:08:46PM +1000, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 02:05  PM, John Bell wrote:
> > [...]  I am leaning towards pypgsql [...]
>
> I got as far as checking its threadsafety - level 1 compliance
> is a major lack to me.

I will look into the thread level compliance thing, but for now I only
remember a message from the main developer Bill Allie, which sounds
reasonable to me:

http://mail.vex.net:99/pipermail/pygresql/2001-July/000420.html

> I also stick to using the DB API, so I can't see any improvement in
> functionality to PoPy or Psycopg.

Yes, the Python-PostgreSQL land is quite fragmented. The modules differ
in several things, among them licenses, features, DB-API compliance and
portability.

> If you only want a thread level 1 compliant driver, is there any real
> advantage over using PyGreSQL which is shipped as part of PostgreSQL?

PyGreSQL is in my experience buggy and little maintained. The DB-API
stuff is really a wrapper on the the old proprietary interface, and is
relatively new and probably not used very much. Somehow it got into
PostgreSQL, but the most likely reason is IMHO that it was the only
module being available at the time, not because it is the best one
today.

> These issues may be the reason there is a lack of commentary on
> pypgsql.  The other reason is that it must be a secret, as it still
> hasn't made it onto the DB-SIG's modules list.

I've notified the DB-SIG coordinator and python.org webmaster. Some
modules aren't mentioned on the DB-SIG's modules list, but are listed on
the relevant dmoz.org page:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Python/Modules/Database/

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0