Problem with linking embedding C application

Olivier Deme odeme at airtel-atn.com
Mon Oct 1 08:48:43 EDT 2001

Thanks for the link to the demo application.
Indeed it seems that there a plenty of libraries to link with...

Something also really annoying:
The libraries are located in an unusual place on my machine:
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/

Plus, the fact that libpython*.a has its version number in the file name.
That means that if our customer has a different version of Python, they
won't be able to link our application!
Usually, this should be solved by adding a symbolink link in a common
directory. Sonething like:
/usr/lib/libpython.a -> /usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/libpython2.1.a

But this is not done during installation of Python. How are we supposed to know
the version used by the people who are going to build our application?
And no, I didn;t find any AUTOCONF macro to help resolving that problem...

O.