Python Cookbook: last call for recipes for printed version

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 12 04:14:14 EDT 2001

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:15302.9739.67065.524596 at beluga.mojam.com...

>     Alex> while the Python Cookbook
>     Alex> (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python) will stay
open
>     Alex> for good, soon we'll have to "freeze" the set of recipes to be
>     Alex> considered for the book version to be published by O'Reilly &
>     Alex> Associates.
>
> I guess this aspect wasn't well publicized.  This is the first time I've
> heard there was going to be a book...

On http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python, the relevant
sentence is "O'Reilly plans to publish a selection of the recipes
in a paper volume".  But you're surely right that we didn't do
enough to publicize this -- and I suspect that Frank Willison's
untimely, much-mourned demise may well have to do with this:-(.
Maybe c.l.p.announce's technical issues didn't help, either (I
can't find any Cookbook announcement on c.l.p.a's archives).

Please see http://www.oreilly.com/frank/pythoncook_0501.html for
Frank's own words on the subject.  While I can only speak for
myself, I'm sure my apologies for not doing enough to communicate
the Cookbook's multiple purposes are shared by all involved.

But the Cookbook site will stay, and there's a last window of
opportunity to get a recipe into it in time for consideration
for paper-publication -- and/or edit recipes you have already
submitted (particularly to beef up discussion!-), add comments,
and so on, again in time for your contribution to be considered
for the printed-book.  Please help fulfil Frank's vision!

Alex