Tk and focusing windows

Brian Moyle bmoyle at mvista.com
Mon Oct 29 19:53:15 EST 2001

I'm new to Tkinter, but I decided to give this a shot anyway (using your example as the base).

It seems to do the trick, but I'm not sure if it's considered good Tkinter coding style.

Brian

-----

#!/usr/bin/env python
from Tkinter import *
import sys

root=Tk()
root.withdraw()

window = Toplevel()
window.withdraw()
window.resizable(0, 0)
window.title("Main window")
window.protocol("WM_DELETE_WINDOW", sys.exit)
widget = Label(window, text="I wait for the dialog, but why?")
widget.pack()

dialog = Toplevel()
dialog.withdraw()
dialog.resizable(0, 0)
dialog.title("A dialog")
widget = Label(dialog, text="Why is this window drawn first?")
widget.pack()

window.deiconify()
dialog.wait_visibility(window)  # seems to do something!
dialog.deiconify()

root.mainloop()

-----