Install of MySQLdb fails - cl.exe missing

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Oct 30 23:39:38 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "haaserd" <haaserd at yahoo.com>

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install MySQLdb on Windows 98SE.  I have
> Python 2.1.1 installed and current versions of MySQL and
> mxDateTime.  Each time I try to run "python setup.py
> install" the procedure fails because a module cl.exe is not
> found.

Not a "module" but rather an "executable"... the compiler from
Microsoft Visual C++.  If you don't have it, you can't do a
source build (at least not easily).

> I have tried this with MySQLdb versions 0.9.1, 0.9.0, and
> 0.3.5 and all fail the same way.  I have MySQLdb version
> 0.9.0 installed on another PC running Python 2.0 and
> Windows/Me.  This PC doesn't have a cl.exe either, and I
> have no clue as to what I am doing differently.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

You need a binary distribution.  Go to:

    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/

Look down the page a bit, it's there.

Alternately, you could get MS Visual C++.