newbie question

Steve Holden sholden at
Wed Oct 31 20:43:15 CET 2001

"lance crocker" <jnlc at> wrote ...
> thanks i'll try that
> any suggestions on a quick and easy way to learn python so i can write
> my own apps?
> any suggested readings?
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on your level of programming knowledge, general determination,
and so on. I personally found "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz and David
Ascher to be a thorough book, and although I know some experienced
programmers think it's too detailed I really liked its style. Most of what
it says will be just as relevant to more recent versions of Python althoug
it was written quite a long time ago. I don't know whether O'Reilly plans a
second edition. They should.

David Beazley's "Python Essential Reference" is a very good book once you've
learned the language, as it contains a concise reference to all t he
features you use most often.

Apart from that, there are many useful references on

and, of course, the Python Bookstore at

I'd recommend reading reviews on Amazon before parting with hard-earned

My own "Python Web Programming" is due out on January 15 next year, but
modesty forbids me from saying more. Hope this helps. Keep it up!