newbie question

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 31 14:43:15 EST 2001

"lance crocker" <jnlc at bellsouth.net> wrote ...
> thanks i'll try that
>
> any suggestions on a quick and easy way to learn python so i can write
> my own apps?
>
> any suggested readings?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on your level of programming knowledge, general determination,
and so on. I personally found "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz and David
Ascher to be a thorough book, and although I know some experienced
programmers think it's too detailed I really liked its style. Most of what
it says will be just as relevant to more recent versions of Python althoug
it was written quite a long time ago. I don't know whether O'Reilly plans a
second edition. They should.

David Beazley's "Python Essential Reference" is a very good book once you've
learned the language, as it contains a concise reference to all t he
features you use most often.

Apart from that, there are many useful references on

    http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html

and, of course, the Python Bookstore at

    http://www.amk.ca/bookstore/

I'd recommend reading reviews on Amazon before parting with hard-earned
cash.

My own "Python Web Programming" is due out on January 15 next year, but
modesty forbids me from saying more. Hope this helps. Keep it up!

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/