Compiling PIL 1.1.2 with Python-2.1.1 on Solaris

Ross Lazarus rerla at channing.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:53:46 EDT 2001

I'm trying to compile the latest release of PIL with python
2.1.1 on a sun box.
I've searched this list to no avail, so I must be doing
something stupid since it's been out for a while.

No apparent problems compiling libImaging and it tests fine.

Using the supplied Makefile.pre.in, I can get it to link
against my old Python 1.5 install by using the trick
documented in the Makefile.pre.in - using the VERSION param,
as in:

make -f Makefile.pre.in Makefile VERSION=1.5

(see, I may be dumb but at least I got that far).
Unfortunately, I need it linked against python 2.1

However, repeating the trick (with or without VERSION=2.1)
goes awry at the final step, when I get a whole slew of
errors - it looks like this..

gcc -shared  ./_imaging.o ./decode.o ./encode.o ./map.o
./display.o ./outline.o ./path.o  libImaging/libImaging.a
-L/ilocal/lib  -ljpeg -L/ilocal/lib -lz  -o ./_imaging.so
Text relocation remains
referenced    against symbol                  offset      in
file
free                                0x2d8
libImaging/libImaging.a(Storage.o)
free                                0x29cc
libImaging/libImaging.a(Quant.o)
free                                0x338
libImaging/libImaging.a(Storage.o)
free                                0x400
libImaging/libImaging.a(Storage.o)
free                                0x408
libImaging/libImaging.a(Storage.o)
free                                0x29c4
libImaging/libImaging.a(Quant.o)
free                                0x29b4
libImaging/libImaging.a(Quant.o)