compiling from source (without root privleges)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 26 09:30:44 EDT 2001

    >> My web host (webaxxs.net) refuses to upgrade from Python 1.5 to 2.x.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if I have any hope of being able to compile from
    >> source, without having root privleges.  They are running a modified
    >> Red Hat.

    Oleg> I did it few times ...

I build Python from the latest CVS source day or two.  I *never* do this as
root, so my guess would be that it is possible. ;-)

The only real issue of root vs. non-root builds is not the build process per
se, but whether or not you have the permission to install it where you want
as a non-root user.  Obviously, your web hosting service isn't going to let
you install in /usr, and very unlikely to allow you to install in
/usr/local, so when you run ./configure you'll have to set the install
prefix appropriately, e.g.:

    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)