Python embedding & question about autoconf and dynamic linking

Olivier Deme odeme at airtel-atn.com
Mon Oct 1 08:54:27 EDT 2001

Yes, I found that web site last week.
The reason for us to do embedding rather than extending is that our main
applciation is written in C (would you write a router in Python?...) and we
use python for writing a re-usable component, that is a CLI component.
Debugging our application is a lot easier if we embedd the Python code, which
represents a small percentage of our application code size. This is because
we can use the debugger as usual. If we were embedding our router in a
Python application (a hell of an extension), we would need to debug the python
interpreter, put a breakpoint where it loads extensions, continue until
it loads our router and then put a breakpoint in our router code.
Why do I not feel comfortable telling my colleagues who never used Python to
do this?