programming unlimited "categories" in python ?

Shriek at gmx.co.uk Shriek at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 19:14:15 EST 2001

Hi Gabriel,

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your e-mail for a while.

> > proves this not to be case with a multitude of applications
> > (mainly in Perl) that offer "unlimited categories/subcategories".
>
> I think what you're really looking for is information about
> implementing arbitrary tree (as in MS explorer, for example)
> structures
> of which there is a lot online...

I think you're right, that I am talking about "arbitrary trees"
and I've been searching for a couple of days - the problem is
that there's actually TOO MUCH information online when you search
for "arbitrary trees", much of it theoretical and mathematical,
very little of it actually translated into pratical code, and none
in Python. Also, most of the recent references seem to be extolling
the benefits of XML, which would be OK for importing/exporting
tree data but not ideal for handling it in realtime.

Your example ("MS Explorer") is a very good one, and perhaps I
should be looking at how filesystems and folders are created
or managed by an operating system, since that seems to be the
ultimate "arbitrary tree".

Thank you for the reference.

Stephen.