doc strings and efficiency

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at
Tue Oct 2 14:40:40 CEST 2001

    Hello. I didn't find this in the Python FAQ, so I'm asking. My apologies
if it's in some totally obvious location and I just need more coffee *sip*.

    Documentation strings, as they are available at runtime, increase the
memory requirement of the running python process. Currently, I have memory to
burn in the environments that I code on, but if I want to use Python in an
environment where memory is very tight, I find myself suddenly wondering if I
should use docstrings.
    I'd like to, as they are a great feature of the language, but a "would be
nice" feature in the interpreter would be an option to ignore them, so that
under tight conditions I could shut them off, but still have them in the
source code for debugging on boxes where I'm not under those tight
    Does anyone know of any plans for such a feature? Any counter-arguments
for why this would not be necessary?

    Thanks very much,

Michael P. Soulier, TD12, SKY  Tel: 613-765-4699 (ESN: 39-54699)
Optical Networks, Nortel Networks, SDE Pegasus
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix