Smtplib module

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 22 23:23:31 EDT 2001

"David Bolen" <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote ...
> Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> writes:
>
> > On 22 Oct 2001 15:05:00 -0400, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in
> > comp.lang.python in article <u1yjvwl5v.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com>:
> >
> > :Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> writes:
> > :
[... about SMTP delivery ...]

> > Is this some obsession, or is it some FAQ such that people jump to that
> > assumption?

[... specifically about MX lookups ...]

> Given that you weren't suggesting that (using it to get closer to the
> final target for better error status), then I'm somewhat confused as
> to why anyone would bother with a manual MX lookup.  It seems of
> dubious benefit to just duplicate what your local mail system is
> already (presumably) configured to do very well.

I have actually had to do this for a client who needed to send email bills
out on behalf of their agents. Since the agents had email addresses not
associated with my client, it was necessary to send them out via the MX host
for the destination domain to avoid getting bounces for relaying.

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/