Nicer Tkinter on UNIX?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Oct 5 14:27:07 EDT 2001

In article <slrn9rpd27.899.arturs at aph.waw.pdi.net>,
Artur Skura  <arturs at iidea.pl> wrote:
			.
>Also, an ideal solution for me would be a wrapper module (anyGUI, kindof),
>which would check for Qt etc. libraries on systems that support it; if not
>found, it would use Tkinter. Is there anything like this?
>I think such wrapping would be somewhat easier with GTK and Tkinter (they
>seem a bit similar).
			.
			.
			.
Sober engineering judgment has always been that you can't
have it.  While the data-management domain is full of
unifying and abstracting interfaces, GUIs are different,
rife with incompatibilities.  While you're quite reasonable
to point out that GTK and Tkinter seem similar enough to
encourage hopes of consolidation, the reality of their
implementations in regard to covert details is just too
ghastly--they won't play together.

That's what I've believed for a long time, at any rate.
I still do, in fact.  However, experimenters working with
convenient subsets and mutations of leading GUI toolkits
*have* recently demonstrated interesting chimerae.  My
best guess continues to be that a satisfying wrapping as
you describe is infeasible--but that a slightly crippled
one, one which exposes only the most important attributes
of the most important widgets, could work quite reliably.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net