Is 0 > None?? (fwd)

Radovan Garabik spam at
Tue Sep 4 09:06:32 CEST 2001

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at> wrote:
 : Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:19:43 +0200, Radovan Garabik <spam at> pisze:

 :> and you heard correctly that it is a bad idea.

 : I never heard a convincing argument.

 :> A very bad idea indeed, because it could happen that my program
 :> would stop working for anybody with different locale charset.

 : Such program would currently not work *at all* - hardly an improvement.

At least it forces the author think about the issue - not just assume
everybody uses latin1 (as is the case in many programs).

well, I would prefer utf-8 encoding - this is what one
can expect to use when there is already need for unicode

 :> And for those on OpenBSD as well (since OpenBSD does not have proper
 :> locale support)

 : So because of poor locale support on OpenBSD it won't work on Linux?
 : Let's drop os.fork then - it's not available under Windows.

it is, for cygwin version <wink>

| Radovan Garabik |
| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph . uniba . sk       |