Problem with os.system()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at
Fri Sep 28 16:35:33 CEST 2001

"Janos Blazi" <jblazi at> wrote in message
news:3bb480af_1 at
> I have the following code:
>     prog=r'"C:\Programme\Windows Media Player\mplayer2"'
>     f=r'c:\WINNT\Media\Microsoft Office 2000\APPLAUSE.WAV'
>     os.system(prog+' /Play '+f)
> Now first it seems as though it worked and the wav file is played.
> problem is that after the wav file has ben played my program does
not regain
> the control i.e. the next statement is not executed. If I close the
> Player window manually, my program resumes. I use Win2000 but my
> should work under MS-DOS.

Your 'problem' is not with your Python program, but with mplayer not
closing itself by itself after playing one song.  Perhaps there is a
command line option that would tell it to do so.  Perhaps you should
find a wav-file player that behaves better for your purpose.  I
believe that pygame may give you access to some such.

Terry J. Reedy