What is Python good for?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Sep 13 06:26:02 EDT 2001

"Ken Seehof" <kseehof at neuralintegrator.com> wrote in message
> purpose language.  In fact, there really isn't any fancy trademark
> ooh-aah feature to set python apart.  It's just a general purpose
> language done particularly well.

Maybe not "fancy trademark", but the extremely simple way in
which Python exposes most internals does keep making ME go
"ooh-aah" -- it's really _close_ to Scheme in this, but I
think it goes even farther.  One of my happiest recent moments
was finally coming up with a *simple* way to do away with the
durned Singleton design-pattern in favour of arbitrary numbers
of instances sharing shate -- and finding out that all it
takes is adding *one* simple statement to __init__, see
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66531
for the idea (& quite a bit of somewhat-heated discussion
with Singleton-lovers on the issue:-).

Alex