2.2a3 compile fails with __retval error

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 17 03:36:10 EDT 2001

Bruce Sass <bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> No, I had rm-ed config.cache before the configure that immediately
> preceeded make; but it is/was something I did with configure.
>
> It looks like it was a bad idea to see what:
> --with-{signal-module,cycle-gc,pymalloc,fpectl} would do.
> If I leave those options off it seems to be working...
> is that `not surprising', or is `something funny going on' ?

I cannot reproduce this. On a Debian unstable installation, Python
2.2a3, being configured with

./configure  --with-signal-module --with-cycle-gc --with-pymalloc --with-fpectl

builds fine for me. If you want to investigate this, you should find
out why HAVE_STRDUP is not defined in your pyconfig.h, by inspecting
config.log. Perhaps something is strange with your C library?

Of the options you are giving, --with-signal-module --with-cycle-gc
are redundant, since those are activated by default.

Regards,
Martin