What is Python good for?

Steve stevesusenet at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 09:41:21 EDT 2001

I heard about Python briefly a few years ago when I just got out of
school and started programming professionally.

Now that I have a good command of some other languages and I see that
there is a windows port of Python I am thinking about learning it.

Why should I?

By that, I mean most languages try to do it all, but they usually end
up having unique strengths in some areas that draw users to it.

Java is great for server side programming.  Perl is easy, and has a
lot of built in features for text processing.  Visual Basic makes
generating windows client app interfaces very fast.

What is Python's major strength?  What benefit will someone have by
taking the time to learn it?

Where does Python fall short?

Thank in advance.