ANN: CGIgen 0.1-alpha-1

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Wed Sep 5 20:17:03 EDT 2001

Hello fellow Pythoneers,

I have just finished installing CGIgen on SourceForge, and have released an
early alpha-version of the code.

CGIgen is basically a library that aims at extending what Zope calls a
namespace: Contrary to Zope it doesn't offer a "flat" namespace, but rather a
namespace that can be arbitrarily deep, and at each level has a namespace in
the Zope sense.

Making the long statement short: it implements a tree-structure.

Each item in the tree is accessed through a name, whereby names that are
added later override names that were placed earlier, thus creating
polymorphism.

The basic classes that organize just this (Container, Data and Callback) are
finished.
Two demo-classes that use these classes as bases and implement real
functionality are also included in the current version: SessionData
implements a session data handler that integrates smoothly into the tree, and
VariableData is a handler that integrates a text-file with a special
formatting into the tree.

What is also finished is an exception-handling scheme especially adapted to
CGI-developers: Exceptions that are raised somewhere in the program can be
logged to a file, and each exception has a certain severity which specifies
when to log it (the lower the severity, the more severe the exception is,
thus this is basically a log-level).

CGIgen will be extended to cover much more tasks that are frequent in
CGI-development (such as user-databases, document templating, etc.), but this
should be enough announcement for tonight.

The project is under the Python License (although the source doesn't state
that... yet ;)).

If anyone is interested in joining the effort, don't hesitate to mail me. :)

Project URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgigen/.

Don't rely on the CVS, the data in there is older than the release; I still
have some problems with getting the data from my local CVS into the
sourceforge.net CVS (I don't have a permanent Internet connection, and thus
can't use the sourceforge.net CVS for all checkin-operations).

--
Yours sincerely,

	Heiko Wundram
	Head of the Celle Open Source Community
		(CEOSG - Celler Open Source Gemeinde)

PS: The current release still contains .pyc files; I forgot to remove them
before tarring the archive... Please forgive me! ;)