large class hierarchies in python

Andrae Muys amuys at shortech.com.au
Sun Sep 9 21:03:37 EDT 2001

"Justin Dubs" <jtdubs at eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in message news:<9ner16$sbt$1 at uni00nw.unity.ncsu.edu>...
> Also, can you suggest some other good OO languages to learn?  I know
> Objective-C, C++, Java, some Smalltalk and now Python.  What do you think of
> Eiffel, if anything?

I personally only ever have two reasons for learning another
programming language.  The first is naturally need, when my boss
needed me to do some "web-programming", I spent two days and learnt
Javascript.  The second is for what I refer to as mental hysterisis.
The #1 trait I look for, and recommend in a new language, is "Will
this language permanantly change the way I think and program in the
other languages I use?".

So if you already know Obj-C, C++, Java, Smalltalk, and Python, I
would suggest it's probably time to experiment with something that
isn't imperitive-OO.  Prolog, Haskell, Miranda, Forth, Postscript,
APL, would all suggest themselves to me as possibles, but there are
others in this group better qualified to make suggestions.

Andrae Muys

(and then one day you finish a small 15kloc C program, grep it and
realise that you forgot to use any explicit loops, without trying. ;).