Simple Newbie Question - (slightly OT)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 6 12:32:12 EDT 2001

Scott Long wrote:

> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
>
> >> What is the proper pronunciation for "Tuple"?
>
> > This question has been asked here 6 weeks ago. It seems that there
> > is no simple answer, various people pronounce "tuple" differently.
> >

> Quite true. Consider quadruple (quad-roo-pul) and quintuple (quin-tuh-pul).
> I say that as long as this difference exists, no one has any reason to
> argue about "tuple".

Heh heh!  Considering that I've always pronounced both quadruple and
quintuple with "oo" not "uh", I'd have to agree with the conclusion
you reach, if not the reason for it. :-)

(Note on dictionary.com the three ways of pronouncing quadruple
and the four for quintuple.  Hmmm... triple only has one
pronunciation, so there goes my nascent theory about there
being N-1 ways to pronounce these words. Dang. ;-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com