Size in bytes of a dictionary

Xavier Defrang xavier at perceval.net
Wed Sep 19 08:36:31 EDT 2001

Dear Pythoneers,

I haven't been able to find a way to get the total size in bytes of a
dictionary object.  I'm writing an application that deals with a large
hashtable (a string-string mapping) and I'd like to be able to monitor its
size in memory.  Is there any heuristic formula I may use depending on the
number of keys and the way the interpreters allocates memory for the data
structure?

Regards,

Xavier Defrang
Perceval R&D Team
xavier at perceval.net

 Perceval Technologies SA/NV  Tel: +32-2-6409194
 Rue Tenbosch, 9              Fax: +32-2-6403154
 B-1000 Brussels         http://www.perceval.net
 BELGIUM                       info at perceval.net