The status of xmllib

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Sep 27 03:09:50 EDT 2001

What exactly does the following statement from the
documentation (section 13.12, xmllib) mean?

  Deprecated since release 2.0. Use xml.sax instead.

I understand that it encourages people not to use
xmllib, and to use xml.sax... But does it mean that
xmllib will be phased out in the long run? In that
case, is a pure-Python plug-in for xml.sax planned?
If xmllib is here to stay (although not as good as
the xml package), perhaps deprecated is a bit strong?
Or am I just being nervous about it?

And, if no pure-Python handler for xml.sax (or
xml.anything) exists -- would a submitted module
stand a chance of being included? (Not that I have one,
but if it would be used, I might write one...)

- Magnus (who wants an xml package which doesn't strain
the poor users with compiling and installing expat)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick