COM MakePy utility in PythonWin

Maan Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Sun Sep 2 10:03:25 EDT 2001

"Gerson Kurz" <gerson.kurz at t-online.de> wrote in message
news:3b91e631.1383281 at news.t-online.de...
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 05:09:43 GMT, "Maan Hamze" <mmhamze at pleiades.net>
> wrote:
> >2.  I have a povray modelling program that offers a COM interface.  I was
> >able to connect to it through Hammond's Python win32com.  But the
interface
> >itself is not listed in the COM browser in PythonWin.  I looked for it in
> >the registry and found it and tried it in PythonWin and it worked.  I am
> >just wondering why the object did not appear in the COM Broswer?
>
> - do you implement IDispatch ? COM alone (eg. IUnknown + custom
> derived interface) isn't enough to be usable in Python (or VB).

I just went by the default installation of the povray program (Breeze
Designer).  It implements the COM object Breeze.Scene which is in the
registry but does not appear in the COM browser.  I tired it with:
>>> import win32com.client
>>> scene=win32com.client.Dispatch("Breeze.Scene")
and it worked.  I was able to control the program.

> - Do you have the .tlb properly registered ?

No it is not (Breeze20.tlb) and it would not register.  I contacted the
developer of Breeze about this and about other issues connected with running
Python also in Breeze internal macro engine that allows for Python
ActiveScripting.
Maan