Help building Python-2.1.1 under HP-UX Release 11.00

Philipp Jocham philipp at salomon.at
Wed Sep 12 08:35:24 EDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:20:07 GMT, Robert Roy <rjroy at NO-SPAM.magma.ca> wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:43:29 +0200, juan.alcolea at bt.es wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>	I've been playing a little with Python under Windows, and I've found
>>it's a very interesting tool. I'm trying to build
>>Python-2.1.1 under HP-UX Release 11.00, so I can do some sample development
>>in our test server, but I'm getting some problems (please note that I'm not
>>a unix administrator, just a plain basic user). I downloaded the .tgz file,
>>decompressed it and ran the "configure" script. Then a did a "make", and
>>this is what I got:
>>

>I have not tried to build on 11.00 but have done so on several 10.20
>systems. From what I recall, using the basic cc compiler is
>problematic. You might want to install gcc and use it instead.

Correct! Forget the C-Compiler, which comes bundled with the OS.
Either install the 'C/ANSI C' product, as stated in your make output
    > (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -A option is available only with
    > the C/ANSI C product

or install gcc (also available as 'depot' on http://hpux.connect.org.uk/).

    Download the depot, GUNZIP it, put it into /tmp, become root and do a
        swinstall -s /tmp/<filename.depot> \*
    After installation you will find gcc in /opt/gcc/bin

Philipp