Tkinter + threads = trouble?

Harvest T. Moon h4rv3st at web.de
Sun Sep 16 17:50:37 EDT 2001

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> schrieb
> Hi!
>
> I've tried to run threaded program which uses Tkinter for GUI. (Every
> graphic operation is guarded by the lock).
>
> The program run well under Linux/X Window (and Python 2.1). But when I try
> it under Windows 98 SE... It locks badly. I tracked down that it locks
> when one of the threads do variable.set("value"). However, other threaded
> programs could not run under IDLE. So I conclude that under Windows
> threading and Tkintering are mutually exclusive!
[snip]

i have had no problems using threads + tkinter on Win98 SE, i wrote some
webchat clients with heavy use of threads (umm, not _that_ heavy :) and it
works like a charm. i didn't used locks, though, but ran into no trouble so
far. the client also works on WinME, Win2k pro and WinXP.

Harvest T. Moon
"God exists, and she loves Bill" -- BMessage