Realtime capabilities?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Sep 22 12:37:13 EDT 2001

In article <9o8033$mhf$04$1 at news.t-online.com>, Ben  <ben at xyz.net> wrote:

>some of you have probably heard (or even used) Erlang (www.erlang.org) ---
>a functional programming language which is executed by a virtual machine.
>One interesting property of this VM is guaranteed soft realtime execution
>of the Erlang processes.
>
>My question is whether it is possible to add (soft) realtime capabilities
>to the Python VM with reasonable effort? I'm just curious and not being an
>expert of any of the existing Python implementations I thought some of you
>might have a better understanding of this issue and can comment on this?

I don't know what Erlang means by "guaranteed".  I also don't know what
OS Erlang runs on that such a guarantee can be made; it's certainly not
possible on Win9x, for example.  So if you say more about what
"guaranteed" means, I can probably give you some useful info about
Python.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.