Python and Zope

Hernan M. Foffani hfoffani at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 15:20:11 EDT 2001

Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote:

>    I talked about persistent DB (SQL) connections, not speed. When Apache
> kills a children, what a children (module) shall do with open connection?
>    Zope (as most web-application servers) opens connections at need, but
> closes it only on timeout. Real persistence of connections.

Persistence has more than one meaning here. It's possible to have
one connection open thru several different requests, with Apache (or
whatever) not dropping the connection at a close, but sending
a rollback transaction. This should be easy to implement.

If persistance to you means the capability of a sql transaction
to "cross" http requests, then that's another problem. The
previous solution doesn't work, so either you use a user-threaded
device or the DB layer needs to implement a server of a pool of
connections. Then the bunch of http-server processes just asks for
a free connection to use. The DB pool takes care of rollbacks and
timeouts issues.

It's not a problem of the architecture itself, but what the
implementators did on any particular webserver/cgi/language/dbclient

Just to clarify a bit. But I'm getting far offtopic now.

Regards,
-Hernan

                    Usenet Newsgroup Service