Hello people. I have some questions

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Sun Sep 2 14:07:09 EDT 2001

Hi,

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> schrub:

> "Markus Schaber" <markus at schabi.de> wrote in message
> news:2163005.EU6C4ouqhe at lunix.schabi.de...
>> > VB (and Python) stop where there's no runtime environment to
>> > support them (C++, like C, is designed to be able to do without
>> > Say you'd like a little program of yours to run in the browser
>> > of anybody who looks at your site.  VB will stop at any browser
>> If you use Jython and AWT as windowing toolkit (maybe swing is also
>> possible in current browsers), than you can ship a carefully designed
>> python application as .jar, even as an applet, if you want to.
>> There's
>
> ...and if a suitable runtime environment is provided.  Most
> current browsers don't provide one by default -- the JVM's they
> pack (if any) are old and cranky and don't run Jython applets.

According to http://jython.org/applets/index.html any jdk1.1 conform
browser should work, and at least my netscape 4.77 linux works without
problems.

http://jython.org/applets/problems.html shows that HotJava, Netscape
4.06 or newer and IE 4.0 and newer should work.

markus

--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty