Servlet-kinda thingies (was Re: Migrating from PHP to Python...

Ville Vainio vvainio at karhu.tp.spt.fi
Mon Sep 3 08:26:20 EDT 2001

Chris Dutton <chris at cmb-enterprises.com> writes:

> As for performance, I don't know of any benchmarks on the subject, but in
> certain applications I wouldn't be surprised if Python was faster and had a
> smaller resource footprint, because there isn't a ton of built-in stuff.
> You have the core language, then import the modules you need.

What about running Python scripts as "servlets", that is, processes
that are running constantly and only react to form posts/gets by
executing some doGet/doPost method (in different threads, possibly)? I
assume there is no reason to not use Jython with Java servlet
framework (except perhaps performance?). A web server implemented in
python would obviously be able to do that, though I don't know how
fast it would be. Web serving is quite IO-bound, so python might work
quite well.

--
Ville Vainio - http://www.tp.spt.fi/~vvainio - ICQ #115524762
 Wild geese have no intention to cast a reflection