Reading from the serial port?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Sep 29 11:41:05 EDT 2001

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:08:25 GMT, Luis Rojas <shadow at codetel.net.do> wrote:

>I know this is probably a stupid question but how do i read the serial port
>or send information to it... i am new at this python stuff and i havent been
>able to find anything about serial port programing.

There are a couple different serial-port wrapper packages that
make it easier to do serial port stuff.  Under Unix, access to
the serial port is exactly the same as when you use C:
open/ioctl/tcgetattr/read/write.  I've written a serial port
class for Posix serial ports.  It's at

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/python/PosixSerial.py

Using the Win32all package from ActiveState.com, you can access
a Win32 serial port using standard Win32 semantics (there are
examples in the Win32all package). There is also a Win32 serial
port package somewhere, but the last time I tried to find it I
couldn't.

Somebody recently wrote a cross-platform serial package that
has the same semantics under Unix and Win32.  I don't have a
reference, but if you search comp.lang.pythong for subjects
containing "serial" you'll probably find it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. over in west
                                  at               Philadelphia a puppy is